Kanneliya Rain Forest Sri Lanka
If you are someone who is looking for a green experience in a rain forest in Sri Lanka, the Kanneliya forest would be the perfect destination. Kanneliya Sri Lanka considered being one of the remains of natural habitats. Let’s step into Kanneliya Rain Forest and find out what makes it unique.
The rain forest is also recognized by the names of the KDN or and Kanneliya-Dediyagala-Nakiyadeniya forest complex. The forest is situated in the Udugama – Hiniduma Road, Galle in the Southern province of Sri Lanka. The kanneliya forest provides a drainage area for the rivers Gin and Nilwala. In 2004, this has been named as a biosphere reserve by UNESCO. The forest situated from 60m to 425m above sea level consists of hills and valleys. The total area of the rain forest is approximately about 5306 hectares. The annual rainfall of the forest is 3,750mm. Also, the annual temperature is about 27.0°C. The forest is rich in biodiversity.
How to access Kanneliya
From Galle, you have to take the Galle – Udugama Road. Then go past Walahanduwa, Isivara, and Akmeemana up until you reach Yakkalamulla. Then from there take the Yakkalamulla – Ketanwila Road and go up to the Panangala village. Travel about 12 km from there up until you reach the village of Koralegama. Travel about 2 km further to reach the Forest Reserve.
Best time to visit Kanneliya
- December to February would be the ideal period if you expect to visit nature reserve to see the stunning waterfalls.
- March, April, August, and September are the best months for hikers as there are low chances of rainfall and the water levels would also be less.
- May to July and October to November, higher possibilities of heavy downpours make it risky to plan a visit during that time.
Waterfalls to visit
There are few Kanneliya waterfalls within the Forest Reserve.
- Anagimale Ella Waterfall – located close to the entrance of the forest reserve
- Narangas Ella Waterfall – situated inside the forest
- Malamura Waterfall – located a few kilometers away from the Forest Reserve in the village of Panangala
If you are planning a Kanneliya trip, these are the best kanneliya visiting places.
The Kanneliya rain forest is a must-visit attraction if you are a nature lover. If you are worrying about Kanneliya hotels in Sri Lanka, there are Kanneliya hotels around the area. Kanneliya forest resort or Kanneliya holiday resort could be easily accessible.
Click here for more attractions to visit in Sri Lanka.
3,017 total views, 44 views today