Horton Plains National Park
If you want to enter a whole different world of nature, Horton Plains National Park is the ideal place. The national park has so much to offer for you. Horton Plains National Park considered being one of the most visited national parks in Sri Lanka. If you are someone who is looking for a definitive guide, in brief, this is for you.
How to access Horton Plains National Park?
There are three routes to access the famous park.
- The route to access via Nuwara Eliya, Ambewela and Pattipola which is 32km
- Route via Haputaleor Welimada, Boralanda, Ohiya which is 38km
- The route via Nuwara Eliya, Hakgala, Rendapola, Ambewela, pattipola which is 38km
What are the physical characteristics of Horton Plains National Park?
- The most visited places in Horton Plains – World’s End (884m) / The Baker’s fall
- The altitude of the park – 1,800m to 2,389m at the top of Kirigalpotta
- Mountains around –Mount Totupolakanda and Mount Kirigalpotta
- Highest tableland in Sri Lanka – The plateau at 2,100 in Horton Plains
- The annual rainfall in Horton Plains – 5000mm
- Rainy season – throughout the year
- Dry season – from January to March
- Annual temperature – 15ºC
- Ground frost – in December to February
Horton Plains is rich in biodiversity. The flora in Horton Plains has a high level of endemism. The 5% of species in the park are endemic to Sri Lanka. The plateau provisions grasslands to spread with covers of a thick montane cloud forest. The herbaceous flora in the national park grows well in both temperate and tropical origin.
Large mammals seldom sighted at Horton Plains. Samber is the most common sighted mammal in the park. It is home to 12 species of endemic birds. Butterflies and reptiles are also found within the national park. The only fish is found is rainbow trout Salmo gardneri and freshwater shrimps could also be spotted.
Refer to the Map of National park here.
Now you have a brief idea about Horton Plains National Park. If you like to know more attractive places in Sri Lanka, we have a collection of places and activities for you.
6,908 total views, 46 views today