Galle Fort Sri Lanka: Attractions and Activities
Welcome to Galle Fort, Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka is considered being one of the most beautiful islands in the world. The country has so much to offer and there are many amazing places to visit. Galle is one of the most magical cities situated on the south coast of Sri Lanka. When we visit Galle, one thing we never going to miss is the magical Galle Fort Sri Lanka.
Let’s wander through Galle Fort. This is a complete guide to attractions and activities to do in Galle Fort.
Introduction to Galle Fort
Galle Fort was originally built by the Portuguese in the 16th century. Later the Galle Fort was expanded by Dutch to its present state in the 17th century. The Galle Fort is one of the architectural wonders in the world. We can see a combination of European and South Asian architectural styles in there. Also, it remains as one of the best examples for fortified cities built by Europeans in South Asia. UNESCO declared Old Town of Galle and its Fortifications is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Dutch atmosphere is still alive around the fort. The magnificent Galle Fort stated as an Archaeological Reserve. Galle Fort also identified as a living World Heritage Site. Galle Fort is now full of Sri Lankan and European style restaurants, hotels, shops, and art galleries.
If you want to wander through the magical Galle fort, the map of Galle fort is here.
Places to visit in Galle Fort Sri Lanka
There are many places of interest that you can visit around Galle Fort. Let’s find out the places that can be visited while you are in the Galle Fort.
Galle Fort Light House
The white lighthouse dates back to 1848. The current structure was rebuilt in 1939. It stands on the walls of the ancient Galle Fort. The Light House situated in the Corner of Hospital and Rampart Street facing the sea.
The Outer Walls of Galle Fort/ Ramparts of Galle Fort
If you wish to wander through the amazing Outer Walls of Galle Fort/ Ramparts of Galle Fort, make sure to start early in the morning or late in the afternoon as the temperature goes up in the afternoon. You have to walk around 2km.
You can start the journey at the historic Clock Tower before moving onto the Main Gate. Then walk south into the interior of the Fort passing the Dutch Reform Church. Then you will be reaching the western section’s restored Dutch Hospital.
Continue your walk south towards the famous Galle Lighthouse. Then better to follow the walls to Meeran Mosque, Flag Rock, and Triton Bastion. You can finish up the walk at Star Bastion, overlooking the northern coast towards Hikkaduwa.
Galle Fort Interior
The most common sights and attractions you could visit are as follows.
- Dutch Reform Church – Historic Dutch church dating back to 1640
- Old Dutch Hospital – Colonnaded former hospital dating back to the 18th century
- Amangalla Luxury Hotel – Former home of the Dutch Governor built in 1684
- Sudharmalaya Temple – A Buddhist temple within Galle Fort
- All Saints Anglican Church – Built from solid rock in the late 1800s
- Meeran Mosque – A mosque built in 1904
- Galle International Cricket Stadium – Considered being one of the most picturesque cricket grounds in the world
- Clock tower in Galle – Built-in 1883 on top of a former guard room
- Galle lighthouse – Historic lighthouse at a fort
Activities to do in Galle Fort Sri Lanka
Here are the best activities to do in Galle Fort, if you are interested in engaging in some activities,
- Watch the sunset from Galle Fort
- Watch the sunrise from Galle Fort
- Shop on Peddler Street
- Try different types of Cuisine
- Get to know locals at Galle Fort
- Maritima Archaeology Museum – A Dutch warehouse from 1671 now exhibits underwater artifacts, ship models & other marine-centric exhibits
- National Museum of Galle – Originally Circa-1656 is a Dutch building now exhibits artifacts like masks, carvings, ship equipment & armor
- Galle Underwater Museum – Sri Lanka’s first underwater museum was open off the shores of Galle on 17 June 2020
- Unawatuna Beach- Pristine beach offering activities like snorkeling & scuba diving
Most of us are not aware of the events happening around Galle Fort and here are some of the events that you can participate in.
Events in Galle Fort Sri Lanka
Good Market is a place to find products that are good for the environment, communities, and health. There are several Good Market standards that vendors should go through before joining. You can visit Galle Good Market on Saturdays 10 AM to 6 PM at Court Square, Galle Fort
This festival considered being the best literary festival in the world.
The festival offers a wide range of events, workshops, performances, and participation opportunities for children living in Sri Lanka.
If you are interested in visiting Sri Lanka we have so much to offer for you.
Now you have a clear idea of attractions and activities to do within Galle Fort. So why not visiting this magical Galle Fort?
10,972 total views, 34 views today